Tuesday, March 20, 2018

A Guide For Murdered Children

A Guide for Murdered Children is a genre defying book.  I had no real expectations when I began reading it and was completely unfamiliar with the author.  I also try to avoid looking at reviews before I am finished with a book and have my own review mostly completed, so I had quite a lot of difficulty in getting into sync with the narrative and, frankly, understanding what was going on before about 50%.  The premise is quite creative, it's just that the prose was so very difficult for me to read and understand.  I didn't find the host (landlord) characters particularly sympathetic, and Willow Wylde (bizarre name) was off putting to say the least. 

The book -is- full of unpleasantness and rape, abuse, murder (of children and others).  It's ostensibly a revenge book, which would normally work for me, but in this case it's muddled and confused and I couldn't follow a lot of what was going on, and the bits I understood clearly didn't move me much.  There was a huge *squick* factor for me because the kids were 'rooming' with adults who were acting like adults...  if I had a child sharing my mind/body, I would be hyper aware of doing adult things with them present... 

As others have stated, this is a polarizing book.  Readers seem to love it or hate it.  I really believe the author has prodigious creativity and talent.  There is huge potential here.  With a gifted/committed editor this novel could be mind-blowing.

I could definitely see this book becoming a phenomenon and I feel like I probably wasn't cool enough to 'get it'.  (I admit, I've had problems with other books that my bookish friends *gasp* and swoon over).  Definitely difficult themes and a difficult narrative.

Stats:
Title: A Guide for Murdered Children
Author: Sarah Sparrow
Publisher: Penguin - Blue Rider Press
Publication: 20 March, 2018
500pages, Hardcover and ebook format

Three stars

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment